The player used for the GOA's live streaming clients is built upon a very popular platform called JW Player. Here are many benefits to using this player:
- Hosted by our streaming provider, which means a reliable network with easy updates and maintenance.
- High browser compatibility. (See an official list of supported browsers: https://support.jwplayer.com/articles/jw8-browser-and-device-reference
- Responsive design so it looks good on mobile devices.
- Automatic multi-bitrate switching.
- HTTP and HTTPS compatibility.
- Simple code to add to your website
- Customization options.
- No extra cost to parishes.
The embeddable player provided to parishes using the GOA's live streaming provider can be customized. While default features are set, we do encourage parishes to take advantage of these features. To make updates to your player, review the information below and send a request to [email protected] with the required information (ex. Google User ID for Google Analytics; appropriately sized graphic for splash screen, etc.).
- Google Analytics - If the parish has a Google Analytics account, you can send us the Google User ID to be added to the player. To find out how to get your Google User ID, see this article: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123666?hl=en
- Splash Screen and/or Off-Air Image - To customize, send us one or two graphics with dimensions that match the output ratio of your stream:
- 1200 x 675 for 16:9 stream outputs
- 1200 x 900 for 4:3 stream outputs
- Social Media - By default, social media sharing is included for Facebook, Twitter, and Email. Below are other available sites. If you would like to change which sites people can share your live stream to, please let us know.
- Embed Video on other sites - (Off by default) Allow viewers to copy a code snippet and embed your live stream on their site.
- Auto-Start - (Off by default) If yes, the player will begin to play when someone visits the webpage. If no stream is playing at the time, the Off-Air image will be displayed.
- Aspect Ratio - To ensure your video output looks good online, we set the aspect ratio to match. This is usually 4:3 or 16:9. To find out the aspect ratio of your video, take the output dimensions input them into this website. Please contact us if you change aspect ratios.
- HTTP or HTTPS iFrame - Based on your parish website, we provide an iFrame with HTTP or HTTPS stream links. This helps eliminate "mixed content" browser errors thus providing a better user experience. If your parish installs an SSL certificate, please let us know so we can give you an updated iFrame.
An example of a default player:
An example of a player that has been customized: